Meet the Coaches
FIS Head Coach – Joseph (Joey) Lavigne
Joey joined the NCO ski team in 2011 as Head Coach. Born and raised in Ottawa, Joey is well known to alpine racing community both as an athlete as well as a coach. One of the highlights of Joey’s career was his role as a Canadian Alpine Ski Team coach at the 1980 and 1984 Winter Olympic Games. Joey’s significant coaching experience includes:
- Program Director/Head Coach of the Alberta Provincial Ski Team (1977)
- Canadian Alpine Ski Team Coach on Europa Ski Circuit (1978-1982)
- Canadian Alpine Ski Team Coach for World Cup (1983-1985)
- Program Director/Head Coach of the Southern Ontario Division (1986-1990)
- Ontario Ski Team Coach (1991-1992)
- Managing Director of Alpine Ontario (1992-1993)
- Program Director, Canadian Alpine Ski Team (1994-2005)
- Athletic Director, Ontario Ski team (2006-2010)
Off the hill, Joey has a passion for cabinet making. Joey is married to Cathryn Jayne McIlveen and has three grown children.
FIS Coach -Alex Lennox
Alex grew up racing at the Ottawa Ski Club at Camp Fortune before racing at the FIS level with the NCO. After his racing career, Alex coached for five seasons with the Camp Fortune Ski Club, followed by three years with the NCO FIS team and one year (2017-2018) with the Ontario Ski Team. He returned to the NCO FIS team in 2018-2019 and we are happy to have him continuing as a key member of our FIS coaching staff for the 2021-2022 season. Alex is currently PL trained and working on further certification.
FIS Assistant Coach – Alec Wright
Alec was a competitive member of Camp Fortune Ski Club as an athlete all the way from Nancy Greene to FIS, and after retiring from racing went on to coach there for nine seasons. He then spent one season at Mont Ste Marie as U18 coach and has now joined the NCO ski team as our newest FIS assistant coach. Alec was introduced to ski racing when he joined the Ottawa Ski Club Nancy Greene program at age six, then continued with the Camp Fortune Ski Club and finished his racing career with two years at the FIS level. One of his favourite skiing memories is from the legendary Skimeister event, especially the jumping and skiing in the trees with my friends after racing as a kid. Off the hill Alec is an avid cyclist.